Big Bang music

Big Bang discussions.
Post Ignis Posted 07 Feb 2013, 8:54 PM

Big Bang music

Idols music in Korea and in the west is very often considered bland, generic or simply bad. It is true however that koreans seem to appreciate bb music better that for example Suju music.
Is BB music any different of idols in general? And if yes in your opininon , why? What are the things that make it better?
(I didn't make a thread like this in some general kpop forums to avoid bashing like "vip are soooo arrogant and sooo elitist" ect )

Post BeerBread Posted 07 Feb 2013, 9:06 PM

Re: Big Bang music

I've heard many times that BIGBANG is one of the few idol groups (partially with SNSD) that people still listen to.

BIGBANG has dived into so many different genres with their music. They're versatile and they stick to their roots at the same time.
It's almost like a breath of fresh air each time.
Image Image

Post Lustucru Posted 07 Feb 2013, 9:07 PM

Bigbang's music really stands out from the other idols, otherwise they wouldn't be where they are today tbh. But it also applies to YG in general.
like for example, all tracks on their albums are title tracks worthy, no ~filler~ songs :3
And every comeback is different music wise

Post fayee Posted 07 Feb 2013, 9:40 PM

BB's music, to me, can fit really well into the USA Top 40. I can't say the same to other Kpop songs. Of course BB is POP so anyone who abhors the USA Top 40 will not see the appeal of BB's music. I'm not saying that BB sounds exactly like the Top 40 artists but that BB has their own flavor and twist to the pop music genre that I see people liking them a lot. They also have a lot of variety in their music but having electro as their main counterpart. They can go from acoustic ish songs like Cafe and A Good Man, to electro heavy songs like FB, to r&b like TMGB and Stay, to rockish songs like Stupid Liar and Love Song, to pop songs like GGO and the list goes on.

People like to say that YG/BB are a copy of western music, but seriously. The only thing they have in common is GENRE. If having songs in the same genre as other genres is copying then IDEK what to think. And that genre is mixing hip hop with pop or electro. Thats it. I mean I can't think of another group that can pull off HH as well as BB can. Maybe Block B or BAP but still...its not their fans that complain. Its the fans of the poptastic groups that bash BB if you know what I mean. Isn't that interesting?

And I always found it interesting how BB gets bashed for sounding exactly like western music or hh but "underground' or the more "hh" artists/rappers don't get that same treatment. Its like "oh if you are "underground" or not an idol then you get some kind of free pass." WTF.

Sorry this turned into a rant. LMAO.
ImageImage
SEUNGRI<3

Post ladyperona Posted 08 Feb 2013, 12:29 AM

I do feel like BigBang's music has a different feel than kpop in general...
For one, their songs were never made for special choreography to get on with.. it's just mainly the boys free-styling with whatever they want to do on stage... It's special because they made their own songs, so they know exactly what kind of message the song holds and thus make it easier for them to perform the feelings out without choreography...

Specially idols these days (especially male groups), they keep releasing heavy choreographed tracks... While BigBang dared themself to drop songs like BLUE and BadBoy... and easily made them a big hit...
the truth is, Koreans actually hate idol groups (especially Male groups), but BigBang has been an exception since public knows they're the first ever idol group to produce their own songs... That's what makes them the one and only National Male Group.. (damn, I'm so glad I can say it out loud here... kekekeke)
~ KANG DAESUNG is PERFECTION ~
Image Image Image

Post Ignis Posted 08 Feb 2013, 11:01 AM

fayee wrote:BB's music, to me, can fit really well into the USA Top 40. I can't say the same to other Kpop songs. Of course BB is POP so anyone who abhors the USA Top 40 will not see the appeal of BB's music. I'm not saying that BB sounds exactly like the Top 40 artists but that BB has their own flavor and twist to the pop music genre that I see people liking them a lot. They also have a lot of variety in their music but having electro as their main counterpart. They can go from acoustic ish songs like Cafe and A Good Man, to electro heavy songs like FB, to r&b like TMGB and Stay, to rockish songs like Stupid Liar and Love Song, to pop songs like GGO and the list goes on.

People like to say that YG/BB are a copy of western music, but seriously. The only thing they have in common is GENRE. If having songs in the same genre as other genres is copying then IDEK what to think. And that genre is mixing hip hop with pop or electro. Thats it. I mean I can't think of another group that can pull off HH as well as BB can. Maybe Block B or BAP but still...its not their fans that complain. Its the fans of the poptastic groups that bash BB if you know what I mean. Isn't that interesting?

And I always found it interesting how BB gets bashed for sounding exactly like western music or hh but "underground' or the more "hh" artists/rappers don't get that same treatment. Its like "oh if you are "underground" or not an idol then you get some kind of free pass." WTF.

So you think BB have mainstream western music style but still bring their own flavour? But are they really original? A lot of people don't seem to think they are. Is bigbang popular with korean general public because they have americanized music with korean lyrics or because although they have americanized music they still manage to preserve some korean essence in it?

Post fayee Posted 08 Feb 2013, 9:53 PM

Ignis wrote:
fayee wrote:BB's music, to me, can fit really well into the USA Top 40. I can't say the same to other Kpop songs. Of course BB is POP so anyone who abhors the USA Top 40 will not see the appeal of BB's music. I'm not saying that BB sounds exactly like the Top 40 artists but that BB has their own flavor and twist to the pop music genre that I see people liking them a lot. They also have a lot of variety in their music but having electro as their main counterpart. They can go from acoustic ish songs like Cafe and A Good Man, to electro heavy songs like FB, to r&b like TMGB and Stay, to rockish songs like Stupid Liar and Love Song, to pop songs like GGO and the list goes on.

So you think BB have mainstream western music style but still bring their own flavour? But are they really original? A lot of people don't seem to think they are. Is bigbang popular with korean general public because they have americanized music with korean lyrics or because although they have americanized music they still manage to preserve some korean essence in it?

Hmmm thats a tricky one. All I am saying is that they do the genres they like. Be it hip hop, electro, r&b or etc. What other twist can they do to a genre but add other genres in the mix? Which is what they had done like with electro and hh. But thats a common mix. BB is original, as they are a group who does their own songs and try to make it their own and bring in their own flavor. Which they do imo. I mean you can't expect them to make their own genre. Unless IDK they add in Korean traditional folk music? LOL

Korean essence...what do you mean by that? The only korean ish thing the kpop industy has is ageoyo. Which Japan has too but thats besides the point. Or their bubblegum pop but that was popular in the west a loong time ago. Other bands do electro pop. Other bands do r&b and hip hop. The only thing that separates BB from other bands is that they like the urban flavor and they are good at it. Shinee's lucifer and TVXQ's Catch Me. Those two songs are electro pop. Electro pop is pretty popular in the west too. By artists such as JB, The Wanted, Katy Perry, and Kesha. IDK why BB gets targeted tbh. I can pick a huge amount of songs in kpop that have major western influences. I mean SM buys songs form them for gods sake. But at the end of the day, they all have western influences. Its not only BB or 2NE1 that do and everyone else is doesn't. I feel like because YG focuses on the urban and hh flavor more than other idol companies that they get called out for it because HH is very american. But just because its comes from america doesn't mean you can't do it. And Miss A's IDNAM was pretty hh and r&b too. I mean come on...

And MFLO for example does electro club hh music as well. And they are from the Japanese industry.

Well BB got popular with Lies...would you consider Lies amercanized? I don't. At that time electro was just getting popular and Lies and Haru Haru still sound pretty distinct to BB.

I feel like BB in general are very different. They have distinct voices so when you put them together they just sound like THEM. They don't sound like a copy of another KPOP group or another artist. To me there is no one like them. Can be my bias speaking but thats how I feel.
ImageImage
SEUNGRI<3

Post zanji Posted 12 Feb 2013, 7:24 PM

I feel like Big Bang's music IS very different actually.
I'm not just being biased here... ever since they've debuted they've been going against the flow and I'm not saying that they're not mainstream but their music stands out. They also manage to keep people interested and they're always recreating themselves and trying out new styles for each release. At the same time they stick to their roots. I just think Big Bang's music has such a wide range that it's hard for people not to find at least one song that they like.
Image Image

Post pillacarosn Posted 01 Jul 2013, 8:18 AM

Why do I

always

attract

yo

ur

action figure
The Packers have a Aaron Rodger Jersey good group along with a great subsequent. You'll find a huge selection of Clay Matthews Jersey

Return to Discussion